Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Naked egg and the rest of 1/9/13

Today was a normal homeschool day for us.  We started out at 5:30am which was terribly early for me because I spent a long time visiting a friend last night .  Little P and middle P both got up and did reading, social studies, spelling, language, and writing.  Little P finished her math quickly and headed back to bed but, the boys stayed up and played a computer game.  Big P stayed in bed and finished her studies while I was at work.  I got home late because I had a postpartum visit after I left work.  By the time I got in everyone had already ate dinner but, before the kiddos went to bed we read aloud more of the Phantom Tollbooth and Little P read There's a Wocket in my Pocket and finished our science project from yesterday.

The results Of The naked egg are in!  Tre' was the winner with an hypothesis that the shell would be soft.  The shell was pretty spongy to the touch and hard to bust amazingly.  It sort of had the same consistency as a balloon.  The experiment was pretty neat! Before we busted it open we measured.   It opened up a conversation about membranes for the little ones and we watched a couple of youtube videos of other experiments with the naked egg.  Big P and Tre' and I had a conversation about diffusion and osmosis, hypertonic vs. hypotonic solutions, and permeable and semi-permeable membranes.

I used gloves on this one because I didn't want vinegary hands.  The discoloration of the liquid and the end product of the egg are brown because I used apple cider vinegar instead of regular white vinegar because it's what I had in the cabinet.  Well, I'm off to bed,  I'm so sleepy.  I hope your day was great!  I'm ready to get ready for another one tomorrow.



No comments:

Network

Search This Blog